Are you bored of wearing your shirt but cannot throw it away? Do you have several old shirts that you rarely wear? Maybe you have other shirts that have simply gone out of fashion and you do not use them. You should not continue keeping those old garments when you can use them to make something wearable. Tie-dye is a process of dyeing fabric by tying it up at various places with strings or rubber bands. Using this technique, you can convert your old shirt into a brand new tie-dye t-shirt.
If you are very creative, you can first design your shirt. It will help you in the tying process. Then you must select the colors you wish to see on your shirt. When it comes to tie dye you can let loose the designing genius in you. You can even buy plain white shirts from the various shops and department stores. You could also place an order online. However, nothing compares to creating your own tie-dye shirt. It will be like a great weekend activity and you can even include your kids to be a part of this activity.
Firstly, you must grab your old shirt (or a new if you wish to create on a new shirt), plastic bags, squeeze bottles, gloves, soda ash, rubber bands, fabric dye and a bucket. Except for the fabric dye, you will mostly get everything in your own house itself. You could do the entire process on your own or even buy tie-dye kits available in the market. These kits come with complete instructions that will guide you through the entire process.
Before beginning on the shirt, you can practice on some swatches of cloth. That will ensure you do not make mistakes and ruin your shirt. You will get various designs depending on where you knot the fabric or whether you squeeze it or fasten it like a robe. You can adopt various patterns. If you search on the Internet, there are sites that give you detailed procedure to get the different designs. You can even buy books. There are plenty of books available.
Let me explain how you can make your own tie-dye t-shirt in a few simple steps:
1. First, choose a 100% cotton or linen shirt, either your old shirt or a new if you wish. Wash it well.
2. Place this shirt on a flat table where you can work.
3. Knot the shirt at a few places or you can twist it and fasten with rubber bands or strings tightly.
4. Make the dye reading the instructions carefully. Either you can get ready tie-dye kits or you can source the dyes from the right place.
5. Dye the shirt by soaking for a minimum of twenty minutes.
6. Rinse the shirt in cold water.
7. Remove the knots and rinse the shirt again
8. Dry the shirt indoors, not in the sun.
People take pride in wearing their own tie-dye t-shirt. It is a fun activity and the shirt never goes out of fashion. So, what are you waiting for?